Breastfeeding Is Just as Beneficial For Mother as It Is For Baby
Breast milk is packed full of immune-building nutrients and antibodies for our babies that helps protect them against diseases, and that’s just one of the awesome benefits of breasting. But did you know that breastfeeding isn’t just beneficial for our infants?
Breastfeeding offers a whole host of benefits for mothers, too. Keep reading to learn more for National Breastfeeding Awareness Month.
- Lose weight faster. Breastfeeding uses a significant amount of your body’s caloric energy, around 25%, which is more than any other one body function or organ. Mothers who breastfeed burn more calories than mothers who don’t, which can help you lose weight after giving birth.
- Bond with your infant. No matter how you choose to feed your infant, you will experience bonding, but breastfeeding can increase these feelings of love and protectiveness. Your body produces certain hormones while you breastfeed that facilitates a deeper sense of bonding.
- Reduce postpartum depression. Mothers who breastfeed are considerably less likely to experience postpartum depression. Of those who do experience this condition, breastfeeding has been shown to decrease the severity and length of the depression.
- Reduce risk of certain cancers. Breastfeeding doesn’t just protect our mental health, it can ward off certain cancers, too. Mothers who breastfeed are less likely to develop breast, endometrial and ovarian cancer later in life – and the longer you breastfeed, the more your chances are lowered.
- Protect against disease. Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the risk of developing some diseases, like heart disease and osteoporosis.
While breastfeeding is incredibly beneficial for infants, we understand that it may not be an option for every mother. Whether due to choice, ability or lifestyle, we support all mothers deciding what works best for themselves and their babies.
Want to learn more about breastfeeding? Check out this link.
Nutex Health, Inc supports you and your family’s health. You can depend on Concho Valley Emergency Room or any one of our concierge-level, freestanding emergency facilities to deliver the emergency care you deserve, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.