There are over 130 million emergency room visits each year.
Read more to learn some of the most common reasons people visit the emergency room and scenarios that would help you identify when you should pay a visit to the ER.
1. Sprains and Strains. While children commonly come in for sprains, it’s usually adults who are seeking treatment for strains. If you want to avoid the ER, don’t pick up heavy items and if you have to, always ensure there’s an additional person to help.
2. Broken bones. Similar to sprains, broken bones are most common in children and senior adults. Not sure if your little one has a broken bone? If you weren’t there during the injury, look for swelling, redness, bruising and visible deformities. If it’s a less serious fracture, you may not be able to feel or see the actual break. In this case, your child will likely avoid putting pressure on the fractured bone and may be irritable or acting uncharacteristically.
3. Abdominal pain. Oftentimes, abdominal pain has a non-emergent cause, like indigestion or stomach flu. But you can also develop a condition that requires immediate, emergency attention. Some of these include appendicitis, ectopic pregnancy, diabetic ketoacidosis, kidney infection or kidney stones, torn colon, or even shingles. While most of these are rare, it’s important that you never ignore serious abdominal pain.
4. Lacerations and cuts. Many of us will require stitches at least once in our lives. Children are especially prone to split lips or cuts on their foreheads that require stitches.
5. Migraines and headaches. While most of us will experience headaches in our lifetimes, migraines are less common and more painful. For some, migraines cause intense, debilitating sensitivity to lights and sounds. They may be unable to get out of bed or even become disoriented and dizzy. Some common symptoms of migraines include nausea, sensitivity to stimulus, and fatigue.
Concho Valley ER is a state-of-the-art facility equipped with a CT scanner, ultrasound, and X-Ray. Our team of expertly trained ER physicians is committed to providing you with the best emergency care possible. Your health and satisfaction are our top priorities.
Have you ever visited our facility? Let us know!
Nutex Health, Inc supports you and your family’s health. You can depend on Concho Valley Emergency Center or any one of our concierge-level, freestanding emergency facilities to deliver the emergency care you deserve, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.